A Metaphor For Recovery

Necessity To Change – It’s All Baby Steps, Baby!
September 6, 2019

How An 1,100 Mile Trek Across The Pacific Coast Trail Becomes A Metaphor For The Journey On The Road To Recovery From Depression

This is a story of Cheryl Strade, who made an 1,100 mile Journey on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) that helped her gain control of her life. Hell, the farthest I hiked was 50 miles in Death Valley, CA, and I was a 13 or 14 year old Boy Scout. In any case some of you may be wondering why I am using a woman’s story on a male depression site. Well, judge for yourself and see.

Cheryl Strade’s life was one long line of unhappy events that she could not control – divorced parents, her mom, her best friend, dying of cancer at age 45, and a failed marriage eventually leading her to an unfulfilling, and self-destructive life of indiscriminate sexual behavior, and drugs. And since we’re all guys here, I know some of you might think having a woman who’s free with her sex is a good thing might think differently if that women was your sister, mother, wife, etc. right?

As for the drugs, well many of us have been there and many of us are still there – but we can, most of us I think, say that drugs are not the cure for the ghosts that haunt us. From what I read, Ms. Strade was only 25 when she made the trip – by herself! Pretty gutsy, especially for a female! She even went on to write a book entitled, “Wild”, which has become not only a best seller, but they are making a movie out of it starring Reese Witherspoon (“Walk The Line”, “Gone Girl”, etc.).

Ms. Strade said that the main enemy she faced during the long and arduous hike was nature itself. She had to carry everything she needed in a huge backpack that weighed 70lbs. – no man I know would call that easy, especially going over terrain that challenges even the most seasoned hikers – and here’s a 25 year old female under a buck thirty hauling a heavy load on her back Impressive by my standards!

The second enemy Ms. Strade said she had to face was herself – her personal demons – her grief over her mom, her marriage, her life. Doesn’t this sound like her sorrow could compare with many of our own?  For example, the personal loss many of us have had, particularly those of us who’ve lost our dads, moms, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, friends, might qualify as a great sorrow that we haven’t come to terms, yet, or things we think we should/should not have said, or wished we had said, or done and now it’s too late? Would these not qualify as “personal demons” ?

And how about that huge backpack? Doesn’t that remind of the depression many of us have been lugging around – some of us for decades? Now, I haven’t read the book, nor have I seen the movie. But, I could not help but think how this young woman’s journey mirrors our journey through life being on the road to recovery from our depression – depression that has been keeping us locked up and every bit in the way a person is locked up and cutoff from the outside – in our case cutoff from the reality around us – life just passing us by and we see it, but we are not connected to it, and therefore we are robbed of the joy that might have been ours, but will not be because our depression will not allow us to feel it.

I have so many books to read, but, I intend on reading this one. Ms. Strade’s story to me seems to be one big metaphor about what’s going on here, and what I’m trying to do. Aren’t we all on a journey to find some solution to our depression? You wouldn’t be reading this far if your weren’t. I am convinced of that.

What I am asking you to do is to take that journey with me, and discover the solution to your depression. Your solution may not be the same solution as for someone else, but it doesn’t matter. What matters is that you take the first step. I have knowledge on this site that you can use and it won’t cost you any money at all. There is no catch, only hope and truth – hope in the form of people, including myself, who have overcome the stagnant condition their lives were in before they took the journey to solve and overcome their depression. I didn’t say cure their depression because many of them (and me) still have it.

But, our lives are better! Our lives aren’t in what I wouldcall a static state. We aren’t stuck. Instead,  we are moving forward. We might get our mental and emotional wheels stuck along the way, but we don’t stay there for very long like we would have in the past.

Come with me! Come with us! We will help you get free of your prison, or that mental quicksand that you’ve been stuck in and need a branch to grab onto to pull yourself out. We are that branch! Grab on!

Your Brother,

Glenn “Grey Wolf” Jones